fabio, blog, case-study
Jan 19, 2010
- My daily agenda: OGS, ID201, KEY104, AD201, BP306, AD207, BOF201.
- Thanks Bob for the button!
- Great sushi at Kimonos restaurant.
Lotus Notes and Domino strategy and future:
- LotusLive Notes will be launched
- Support for Citrix, XenApp, VMWare client virtualization technology
- Lotus Notes Traveler on Android
- Lotus Domino will be available as a image on Amazon EC2
- Lotus Business Solutions Catalog is being released
- Symphony 3.0 will be beta in the next month and it will be released in 2010
- After 8.5.2 Notes will be “vulcanized”
- Project Concord was introducted: web-based collaborative document editor for creating, editing and sharing documents.
- Symphony “Vienna” will be based on OpenOffice 3.x (Q2 2010).
- Symphony “Vienna” will be support MS VB macro.
- LotusScript classes are available to manipulate Symphony applications (Java API will be available with “Vienna”).
- Strategy: catch up with the latest OpenOffice regurarly.
- Many people during BOF push to have a Mac based Domino Designer soon.
- Performance in opening mail template: benchmark says 10 seconds, if you experience are minutes it's not normal.
- Lotus Domino Designer 8.5.2 beta is available for partner program.
Jan 18, 2010
In the form of "aspect - goal" that's the key sentences of the Domino server future:
- Database management tool improvements - Leverage a single tool that performs all application/database maintenance tasks (eg compact, index update, ...).
- SAML - Provide greater flexibility regarding secure authentication.
- Platform expansion – Lower costs, improve flexibility and scalability (64 bit, virtual env, Linux platform).
- RESTful APIs – Enable ISV's and application builders with broad set of API's usable from any application endpoint.
- DXL – Roud-trip DXL design elements with no loss.
General and vision:
- Lotus knows why.
- Lotus knows how.
- This year the special guest is Captain Kirk William Shatner directly form Enterprise!
- GM, RIM, Continental, Panasonic and Zurich are the customers presented this year by Lotus.
- You knew the importance of delivering on promises.
- 18378 new customers after Domino 8 was been released.
- Positive disruption: capabilities for free Symphony.
- Collaboration agenda is a new offering who puts together different Lotus products and is designed with industry specific teams who helps company to design his own specific solution: lower the cost of collaboration and improve people collaboration.
- File Navigator by Rene Winkelmeyer is the best open source Notes application.
- LotusLive with 18M users, now is offered for 4 USD per user per month.
- IBM Project Vulcan is a sneak peak into the evolution of collaboration.
- Now in xPages applications is possible to use Quickr component.
- IBM Multimedia Library for Lotus Notes: the fastest, most affordable way to learn Lotus Notes, Sametime and Quickr!
- Quickr and Alfresco are now integrated.
- Announced Lotus Notes Traveler for Android
- Lotus Notes Traveler Companion is an iPhone plugin who can provide to access encrypted email on the iPhone (using Notes ID security!)
- xPages now runs in the Notes client: develop once, run everywhere!
- LotusLive labs is a set of services availables in lotuslive.com. Some examples: slide library, event maps, collaborative recorded meetings and composer.
Specific on Project Vulcan:
- Project Vulcan embraces the one programming model: public REST APIs, Widget and Mashups, xPages for Notes, HTML5 for richer user experiences.
- Project Vulcan: continuity, convergence, innovation, new opportunities
- Project Vulcan and the competition? IBM says it is not an answer to Google Wave.
- Project Vulcan is based on Notes Client and in the browser you have the same experience.
- Project Vulcan can be accessed through Blackberry or iPhone.
- Project Vulcan as the brand new Notes 9 is my guess.
- Project Vulcan will be shipped in 2011.
- After “Emergence” in 2008 and “Resonance” in 2009, this year the Lotusphere theme is “Lotus knows”.
- My daily agenda: BOOT103 (great job Franziska), SHOW105, BOOT104, JMP102 and Welcome Reception.
- DAOS and SAN? Again, be sure transaction logging is on a separate and dedicated LUN.
- Set all compressions "on" using console: load compact mail -ZU -n -v -C
- Deny access list and HTTP? Be careful you have to set “Enforce server access settings” in server documents, ports, Internet ports otherwise HTTP do not follow the configuration.
- In NAB “Actions-> Set Secure Internet Password” allow you to encrypt the HTTP password in secure way. Note, I mean a “secure”, not a “more secure” cause the standard HTTP password mechanism use @Password to encrypt so (eg) same password are show with the same encryption. Mandatory!
- In the configuration setting, set “Enforce Internet/Password Lockout” to prevent a brute force attack over HTTP. You can also use policy to specify a per-person criteria.
Shared Login do not require software installation on the clients (and
it's much better than previous OS login) and you can use policy to set
- Sametime 8.5 will be released in two flavors: Sametime 8.5 Community Services for chats and awareness (Domino based) and Sametime 8.5 Meeting Services (Websphere based) for meeting and video conferencing.
- Wes Morgan rules on Sametime 97/3 utilization: 97% of the users will be logged into chat, 3% parteciping in meetings.
- Still cold. :-(
- A nice match against Andrea playing tennis with Wii.
Jan 17, 2010
- Luckily the temperature is higher than the last two freezing years (around 20°C during the day).
- I have had great times with Andrea e Daniele relaxing and eating shrimp and crab in front of the ocean in Cocoa Beach.
- The pocket agenda is changed, now we have a tabular folder instead the traditional pocket book.
- The backpack is almost the same of last year.